Fun Things Coming Up in the Next Couple Months
The next couple months will be busy for our family, and that in itself is both discouraging and encouraging to me. I am a homebody, and thinking about going places (except for places in nature!) makes my anxiety go up a tad. Making a list should help because planning things out helps me feel better, and these things should all be fun. And not to focus only on myself, I think my kids will like to see this list, too. ;) So here is a list of our family's top ten things to look forward to doing within the next two months (and maybe you might find something your family might be interested in doing as well)! We are looking forward to the following:
|At the top of the wooden rollercoaster.|
|We love to go see the sweet little piggies.|
2. Celebrating the beginning of autumn, which starts this year on Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010. We love going on a nature walk at the beginning of each new season. We take pictures of our family and of nature, and the children collect things like leaves, acorns, etc. This year we're going to do a craft with the things that collected on the nature walk.
|autumn nature walk in 2007|
3. Starting to attend homeschool co-op (at a homeschool co-op parents help out while their children attend classes taught by other homeschooling parents; any of the parents can volunteer to teach a class at co-op). Later this month we will start going to homeschool co-op again for the year, once a week about three times a month. This will be our third year. A friend suggested it to me, and, being unschoolers, I did *NOT* expect to enjoy it, but we really do enjoy it, so we have kept going.
Each of our children take two classes of their choosing, and I help out in my younger children's classes. My oldest child is taking a literature class and a writing class. My next youngest is taking a history class and a nature photo-journaling class. My next youngest is taking a book club-type class, where the students will each read the same book and discuss it together, and a math class (that is supposed to be fun, with games and such). My youngest is taking a (fun!) geography class and the same math class as his sister is taking (he is so good with numbers!).
4. Celebrating our family's annual apple day. It might sound kind of funny, but one year during apple season I decided to buy a bunch of different types of apples so we could try each type and compare them. And now each year around the same time, when the apples go on sale and there are a bunch of different types at the store that normally aren't all there (that happens toward the end of September here), we celebrate apple day. We make the table look pretty and light candles (we have some candle holders with apples on them), I set out sliced apples on plates, and we have a fun time sampling them!
5. Going to an apple festival at a farm and picking out a pumpkin from their pumpkin patch to bring home to carve. I'm not sure where we'll go this year, but last year we went to Lattin's Country Cider Mill and Farm in Olympia, WA, and had a fun time. We got to feed goats, go on a tractor drawn wagon ride, and buy yummy apples for a good price.
|Pumpkin patch at Lattin's Farm|
7. Going to Northwest Trek. Northwest Trek is a wildlife park near Eatonville, WA. One of the neatest things there is the tram tour that travels through a 435-acre free-range area where you can see many animals such as Roosevelt elk, bison, big horn sheep, and moose.
|Roosevelt Elk at Northwest Trek |
(picture taken out of tram window)
|Pirate birthday cake|
|Jaxith the pumpkin|
(his name means "kind-hearted")
|Doesn't look so good, but tastes good!|
I haven't mastered making a nice presentation of the food yet ;), but it tastes good! We usually have cabbage muffins, warm potato salad, onion pie (onion pie is *so* good), sauerkraut, and polish sausages (vegetarian versions of everything!).
Well, those are the top ten things we're looking forward to doing within the next two months! I'll try and keep you updated as to how it all goes. :-)
~*~ If you like lists, find more or join in
with your own list at Top Ten Tuesday! ~*~