ABC Wednesday -- Two Poisonous "N" Plants

I think looking for things in nature that start with various letters of the alphabet can be fun! Here are two plants that start with the letter "n," and both have something else in common, too--they are both toxic if ingested.  So do be careful to just look with your eyes at these pretty plants.

Autumn Crocus aka Naked Ladies
My kids and I get quite a giggle out of the fact that one name for these pretty flowers is "naked ladies."  Here's what Wikipedia says:
Colchicum autumnale, commonly known as autumn crocus, meadow saffron or naked lady, is a flower which resembles the true crocuses, but flowering in autumn. (This is not a reliable distinction, however, since there are many true crocuses that flower in autumn.) The name "naked lady" comes from the fact that the flowers emerge from the ground long after the leaves have died back.
It's very poisonous, even to animals.

Bittersweet Nightshade
The fruit of bittersweet nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, is so pretty, you would hope that it would be edible, but sadly it's not, at least not to humans.  Birds can eat it, though!

Comments

  1. Interesting. I had no idea, but I rarely eat things I find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am a new resident of the northwest I am unacquainted with many of the plants. This is an interesting and informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing how something so lovely, can be poision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those naked ladies look pretty.
    Ive seen similar edible berries.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, nightshade or belladonna was a JEOPARDY! clue recently. it must be a cosmic joke that something so beautiful can be lethal.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's interesting... so naked, so pretty! hehehe.. pretty flower.

    My ABC Wednesday here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen either plant before. Your descriptions are very appreciated. Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts