Tie-Dyed Skies (Cirrus Clouds)

I've always thought it would be fun to learn about the different types of clouds and what they mean.   I think I probably learned a little about it back in school, but I've forgotten. So here is the first (quick) lesson! :-)

These pictures were taken while on a walk with my daughter Windchime yesterday. She said, "The clouds in the sky look like tie-dye," so I had to take pictures!  As far as I can tell, they are cirrus clouds.  The Web Weather for Kids page describes cirrus clouds like this:

Cirrus clouds are thin, wispy clouds blown by high winds into long streamers. They are considered "high clouds" forming above 6000 m (20,000 ft). Cirrus clouds usually move across the sky from west to east. They generally mean fair to pleasant weather.
 You can visit the  Web Weather for Kids to find more information about clouds and weather.

tie-dyed skies

You can see many more skies at Skywatch Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts